Sunday, January 31, 2010

When....... "The World is Your Oyster"

I attended the 15th birthday of someone very special to me the other evening.
His name: Shad
All of you will meet him in a moment………in the meantime, let me share with you what makes him so special to me.


For this, I must take you back to October 2008……..I had begun my new adventure in India just a short 17 days before…….having arrived in India without my family……..needless to say, I was missing them…….my wife and my two sons.
The reason for being in Visakhapatnam (Vizag) was to attend the puja commemorating the birthday of Sarat’s father. (see blog entry of October 19, 2008). It was during this visit to Vizag that I had the occasion of meeting Shad, the eldest son of Shoeb, our General Manager for the Four Points by Sheraton – Vizag.
Shad and I quickly became friends……..perhaps it was because he was very close in age to Preston, and I was still in that initial period of missing him…………but I credit it more too how well spoken, engaging and delightful he is as a person. Shad was just 14 years old at the time………..eager to know all about me, my family, my boys………how I was enjoying India…….my career…….we had such an enjoyable conversation, we could have continued it for several hours……….but it was interrupted by a delicious dinner prepared by Sheena, his mother.
Shad has also been very keen on meeting Preston as well……….but the many miles that separate us between Delhi and Vizag, and the various demands of school and sports schedules of both boys, has prevented them from meeting. But I am positive that they will meet in the very near future………as a matter of fact, Linda and Preston have yet had the chance to visit Vizag…….the place in India that is dear to my heart for so many reasons.
Back to Shad………..like most 15 year olds, he is in that in between stage of boyhood and manhood; the time when you are still young enough to be a child yet you are on the cusp of becoming a man……part of the reasons for this is the Indian education system……..the preparation for BOARD EXAMS and a time of decision for young men and women to commit to a path to their future education…….similar to in colleges in the US when one must declare a field of study (major) and eventually settle on a career path. In India, this happens in the 10th Standard (grade). These Board Exams are grueling………months of study to prepare……and then the anxiety of performing well enough to progress. The Indian education system is highly competitive. Shad will do well……..and he has kept his options open…………happy to proceed in either Science or Commerce, depending on the outcome of his Boards.
When he speaks of his future……..he would be very comfortable following in his father’s (Shoeb) footsteps……..he is very proud of his father and looks up to him and what he has accomplished……and he should be. Shoeb is a very talented hotelier, and someone I am also proud to have on our team.
In preparing for writing this entry, I decided to do some research into famous people who were born on January 28. The list was quite long and very impressive. Kings, politicians, famous cricket players, footballers (both American and soccer), writers, poets, actors, scientist’s, astronomers, astronaut’s, inventors, composers, artist’s, Olympian’s, musician’s, and even some famous military men. The extensive list begins in the year 1457 with the birth of King Henry the VII……the first Tudor King of England………….the last date…….1985 the birth of Athina Onassis, daughter of Christina Onassis.
Shad………..the year 1995……..the year you were born is still open……it is not occupied by any other famous person or celebrity….…the opportunity is your to make a special mark in history………if it is your desire to be a part of this very special list.

“The World is Your Oyster” means that you can you can do or achieve anything you want in life because you have the ability/opportunity/freedom to do so.

However……….as far as I am concerned……….regardless of whether you officially make this list or not, you will remain special to me. I am very proud of you and I know your parents and grandparents are as well.
I hope your 15th Birthday was very special…..and I feel honored to have been invited to share your special day with you.

Uncle Lloyd


Shad with "Cake on his Face"


Shad sharing cake with Sarat (Shoeb, Shad's father in the background)


The wonderful dinner prepared by Sheena - Shad's mother

No comments: