Sunday, May 9, 2010

April was a Blur!


Admiring The Rocky Mountains somewhere over Colorado


Where to begin............?

April was a blur........fast paced, hectic, Delhi to Paris, Paris to Los Angeles, LA to New Orleans..........volcanic ash........New Orleans to San Francisco.....Frisco to Hong Kong.........Hong Kong to Delhi........Delhi to Jaipur......Jaipur to Delhi.......a much needed getaway.......some fly-fishing........a jeep safari.....and while there was certainly some time that I could have used to jot down a few thoughts.........I just wasn't motivated.

Here are some highlights:


Beverly Hills Palms

It was good to get back to the USA for a short time.......the first thing I did when I reached LA was to seek directions to IN & OUT BURGER.......it has been over 2 years since I had a hamburger from IN & OUT........Hollywood.......Palm Trees, Beverly Hills, Bugati's and up close and personal with a legend!


A Legendary Moment - Not bad for Wax!

Why L.A.? Annual company conference.......it was exciting as usual, and India and the efforts of my team were showcased quite a bit......it was great to see friends and colleagues.


My Rental Car

From L.A. to La.........yes......New Orleans........the land of jazz, crawdad's, po-boys,April Azalea's....and even though the city never stops.......I could not fit in everything that I wanted to do or eat everywhere I wanted to eat!


Springtime in the Southern USA

I did have the chance to spend some quality time with Parker..........almost 21....well, not almost, I think he has about 7 month to go......but I stretched his legal age limit and on one of those nice hot New Orleans nights and we found an Irish Pub serving some very nice cold beer and we sat down and caught up on life.


Future Base Camp

Of course, it was great to see my mom as well.........always making sure that everyone did not go hungry.......we spent a few days driving across the lake from New Orleans to see the house that my sister and brother-in-law are building in Abita Springs......gorgeous......and it means that my mom will be moving in with them sometime this summer when the house is complete. Exciting times for her........for everyone actually......and what a fantastic house. It will more than likely serve as "base camp" for us when we return to the US on trips to visit from India.


Inside Base Camp

My sister and brother-in-law.........my neice........nephew........and the latest addition to the family......Baby Claire......


Baby Claire

and then.........the PAIN IN THE ASH.........Eyjafjallajokull........yes the ASH spewing pain in the REAR END that caused so much chaos.....this was the most aggravating part of the journey to the States.....for those of you who feel that being an international traveler is full of glitz and glamour, I just feel the need to share with you some of the frustrations and challenges you feel when something goes wrong.


Pain in the ASH

AIRLINES - My flight back to India was scheduled to leave from Houston on Sunday April 18th, at 4:30pm........scheduled to land in Paris on Monday morning at 8:30am.....the airport was officially closed until 8:00am.........this gave me a 30 minute window of hope......Until the airline cancels your flight, you cannot make alternative arrangements.....the website for Air France was giving updates on the status of flights and the airport closure, but for two days it had not changed....my 30 minute window was holding. Parker and I were to leave Saturday for Houston, but opted to stay until Sunday, as I did not want to be stuck in Houston when I could be spending more time with my family....our decision to leave early Sunday morning turned out to be the right thing.....we set out on our 6 hour journey to Houston, my 30 minute window of hope still part of the latest update......we traveled no more than 40 minutes when I received an email from the airline that my flight was cancelled...the next flight that I could book on Air France to return to India was one week later, as all of those who were previously the victims of cancelled flights, were re-booked on the next available......while I would have enjoyed an extra week in the US.....it just was not feasible....work was calling....well "Screaming" actually......things were piling up and there was just no way I could stay. The 18 hour flight across the Atlantic into Europe was out of the question. The only other option......fly over the Pacific to avoid the ASH CLOUD...after contacting the Travel Agency and making all of the necessary arrangements, I was India bound.....the journey.....almost double the normal time it takes........32 hours of traveling.......19 alone in the plane across the Pacific from San Francisco to Hong Kong......it was the first time I was served Lunch, Dinner and Breakfast all on the same flight! I haven't counted the time zones.....maybe one day I will.


Touching Down in Hong Kong

HONG KONG.....I can now say I was on Chinese soil.......the Hong Kong Airport rivals anything that is in the United States.....simply unbelievable. Very impressive.


Hong Kong Airport - Ceiling

Finally....at 3:00am Wednesday morning....after 32 hours of traveling I was back home in Delhi......and back to work at 3:00pm that afternoon......it took a few days to adjust.

After doing some quick catching up, I finally got to take a break with the family........Preston had a long weekend, so I took the following Friday off and we headed northwest, back to the foothills of the Himalaya's to do some relaxing and relaxing........Preston and I enjoyed our time wading in the rushing waters and quiet pools of the Kosi and Ramganga rivers.......and did our very best to place a fly in front of an eager and hungry Mahseer........the India equivalent to a Louisiana Redfish.

So......while I have had quite a bit going on...........and after a long break from writing, I felt that more than enough time has gone by and it is time to bring everyone up to date on the "adventure". Thanks for hanging in .....stay tuned....more to come!

No comments: