Friday, October 2, 2009

Faces of the Foothills -Shimla

Faces of the Foothills.....Shimla; a compilation of photographs.

This young boy caught my eye as we were driving through the center of the city. He was standing just outside of the temple gazing at something in the distance....

As I was walking down the walkway that led back to the lower level of the Shimla Mall, just beneath the shadow of Christ Church, I stopped in front of these two girls to take a picture of the Church....I could sense that they were watching me, so as I turned to continue walking......our eyes met.....I asked if I could take their picture.....look at the difference in the smiles!

On a slower area of The Mall, these two found a quiet place to chat.....are they brother and sister? are they friends? are they more? Public displays of affection, is not culturally acceptable; no hand holding,etc......notice their feet touching.....so subtle but yet so far apart.....

There are many things that I will never master while here in India.....one of them is walking while balancing items on my head.....this Chaat Walla stopped momentarily for me to snap a quick photograph.......nothing fell, thank goodness......I hope that he found the perfect spot on the Mall to set up shop and sell his items......

With outstretched arms and cupped hands, this man humbly accepts a token of charity from a passerby.......

No comments: