Monday, September 27, 2010

"Rakhi" Roads - Raksha Bandhan - Old Delhi "Rakhi" 2010

India is abundant with festivals, traditions, celebrations and gods.............and one of the benefits of working in India is that it affords you the opportunity to involve yourself in the culture...regardless of your beliefs......holidays are abundant....and sometimes in the middle of the week......

This is my second Rakhi celebration while being in India.......and how did I choose to celebrate it......by walking the wet streets of Old Delhi to witness the beginning of the day and to capture some interesting photographs.

Man Catching Up on the News

Ramesh and I had just dropped Preston off at school when he drew my attention to the odometer reading of our car...........

Odometer Reading on Indy

Rakhi is basically a sacred thread of protection embellished with the love and affection of a sister for her brother. This day is also known as Raksha Bandhan and celebrated on the full moon day of the Hindu month of Shravana in India. This frail of thread of Rakhi is considered as stronger than iron chains as it binds the most beautiful relationship in an inseparable bond of love and trust. The Rakhi festival also has a social significance because it underlines the notion that everybody should live in harmonious coexistence with each other.

Young Woman Purchasing Rakhi Gifts

In the US, we have no such celebration........while I am confident that my sister is overflowing with love and affection for both of her brothers.........she has never tied a string around our wrists to mark such an occasion.

Morning Jasmine Flowers at the Chandni Chowk Flower Market

Flower Vendors

I fondly remember the response I received from my mother and father when I was a child.......on the occasional Mother's or Father's Day when I asked........."When is Children's Day?".......the response was always ...."Children's Day is everyday!"........so I am sure that my sister would respond in a similar fashion if I even suggested that she celebrate "Rakhi".

Cat seeking Shelter

However......on this day....I did my best to "coexist in harmony" with those who make up the wonder of Old Delhi on this special day......

Dogs on Carts

Dog in a Doorway

As I walked the streets.......I did my best to capture Old Delhi as it awakens......before the hustle and bustle of the crowds in the Flower Market............before the deafening horns of motorcycles and auto rickshaws (tuk-tuks) and before the shop owners hoist the metal shield's that protect their goods and wares from pilfering in the night.......

Boys Bathing on and Old Delhi Street

Girl with Umbrella

I wanted to experience Old Delhi as very few "natives" have.....as most start their day much later.....that is of course the exception of  those that I shared this morning with.......the street vendors fixing chaat of all types.............the vendors of the vegetable market arranging their fresh deliveries....

Potato Lady

......those with carts moving to their favorite spot on the street to set up shop for the day.......
Stacking Pears
the cows slowly making their way in the streets in reverence to those who worship them and are blessed by their presence........the dogs on their make shift beds..........young men bathing at the side of the street................young girls with umbrella's, a man reading the newspaper, cats finding shelter from the drizzle........cows being fed day old chapatti's...

Cow Chapati

I hope you enjoy a small peek into how Old Delhi awakens.....and the faces of those who make this an Incredible place to experience.

Chile Walla

2 comments:

Knox said...

Hello.
I enjoy reading your blog!
May I ask what kind of camera you use?
I live in Delhi as well, moved here four months ago.
Attending french school and interrested in photography.
I just want to know which camera you use.
Thank you!

Lloyd said...

Knox, Welcome to Delhi.........I hope that your 4 months here have been exciting for you...the camera I used to have was a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-H10.....it was an 8 Mega Pixel point and shoot camera that had a built in 10X Zoom.....I loved it but lost it on a recent trip to Mumbai. Nothing fancy.....if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ever ask