Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sailing in Surat and My Retirement Job!


This past week I had a business trip to Surat for an internal meeting for our company. I stayed at the Gateway Hotel in Surat which is owned by our joint venture partners. It has recently undergone several phases of renovations and is truly beautiful.

The hotel is located on the bank of the Tapi River......and as the sun was rising that morning, I awoke....went to the window of my room and looked out my window to see a lonely sail boat making its way lazily up river.......

I enjoyed watching the sailboat navigate its way upstream.......knowing that at the end of my hectic day I too was going to be returning on a plane to see my family.....something that has been a very rare occurrence since they have returned to India. I think I have seen both Linda and Preston a total of 7 days since July 31st....the night they arrived from their visit to the US.

I returned Thursday night....worked Friday....... Saturday marked the first true "day off" I have had in the past 58 days....but I am not complaining in the least.....but I think when I retire I might take up a new career.

For those of you who know me well......I have a true passion and love for Ice Cream......it is by far my weakness......my Achilles Heel......I could eat Ice Cream all day.

So.......I could not resist taking the photograph of this very comfortable Ice Cream Wallah......

Now lets think about this for just a minute......this man makes a living selling Ice Cream......and today was very hot......a good day for sales you might think......and he is sleeping on the job...!

He was located near one of the busiest markets in Delhi.....with buyers who have disposable income......

I wouldn't imagine that he was up all night selling Ice Cream? I could be wrong, but....I don't think sales are so robust after the city slows down......so why is he sleeping???? who would want to disturb him to ask to see if he has a "Almond Fudge Bar" or an "Orange Kulfi"?

Did you notice that some of his items fall under the title "Sinful Delights"??????Hmmmmmm Did you notice that ALL of his items are PURE VEGETARIAN?......darn....I was hoping for some "Smoked Breast of Chicken Flavored Ice Cream"!

And .....he represents the Award Winning....Fabulous Flavors collection which includes a winner from the "Great Indian Ice Cream Contest 2005"......who could resist?

This is my dream job....except I would be selling Ice Cream near a body of water that had fish in it......and I don't think I would be sleeping......maybe fishing......but not sleeping......unless the fish weren't biting!

Except someone who was being courteous and did not want to disturb his nap.......

Do you think he had sold out of all of his Ice Cream and decided to just take a nap????......before he pedaled back to the company he works for to refill his Ice Cream Cart.

But........if he makes a living.....sleeping...so close to Ice Cream......it is almost like what I imagine heaven to be like.....

Enjoy the photos.......I think I am going to quit writing and go and get me a nice big bowl of Vanilla.......

3 comments:

areason2write said...

it is just amazing where people sleep here - and once again - great pictures!

Anonymous said...

He is sleeping because what he is laying on is probably the coolest surface in his vicinity!

Lloyd said...

Thanks for reading my blog.....and perhaps you are correct.....it was a very hot day as I remember....but check out some of the other pictures in my entry..Jaipur Train Station....rickshaw drivers alseep at the wheel!