Sunday, September 20, 2009

TRAIN-ing Wheels: adventures of an Amateur of Train Travel in India

While it may not seem possible, I was 16 years old before I had my first experience traveling by air……..when the plans were made I remember feeling both excited and anxious…..the excitement that comes with doing something new……..and the slight uneasiness that comes with not knowing what to expect of the experience and what to do and whether you were going to do something wrong in the process. At 16 years old, the last thing that you want to do is be an amateur at anything……so the plan was simple…….take it slow and watch what my more “worldly” brother-in-law and sister did.
Last week…….I was 16 again……well not really…. but those same feelings returned. When it was announced that we would be traveling by train, I was excited about the adventure…..BUT……I had never traveled by train before…..ever……EVER! I didn’t even know where the train station was located in the city!
I had the basics……a ticket, a time of departure ……and a knowledgeable driver that could get me to the correct train station …….beyond that I was clueless about train travel. I knew nothing about the protocol of train travel (security, how much time to arrive before departure, etc.) , but more importantly, what happens after being delivered to the station……therein lies the dilemma I was facing and the cause of my anxiety…….What happens from that point forward?….when I am dropped at the curb…..I will be all alone…….no “worldly” travelers to guide me from the curb to my seat on the train……….on my own, in new surroundings.......blindly navigating unknown territory.
I didn’t know the layout of the station……it was dark, it was raining…..not drizzling…..pouring……no umbrella…the adventure was starting……you get the picture…..
Here is what I learned after bolting from the curb into the station:
LOCATING YOUR TRAIN is easy……several large electronic information boards communicating in both Hindi and English the train number, departure time and platform number. That was the easy part…..I found the train…..Lucky for me, Platform number 1……YEA BABY!...but which way to walk?……which way is the train facing?…..I found myself in the middle of the row of cars……reverting back to my childhood memories of playing with my Lionel Electric Train Set……”Engine in Front”….I headed to the left…..north, after all, we were traveling north to Ludhiana…….logical that the engine would be in the front of the train……but this is India…..It was then that I received the much needed cell phone call from my frantic colleagues who were waiting for me outside of the train……but at the opposite end. I reversed and made it.
BE PREPARED FOR PEOPLE as they are everywhere…….especially at the Delhi Station....at the time I wasn’t sure if the station was abnormally busy that morning due to the rain, but I have learned that the crowds I witnessed on that first day are normal. People were eating, porters toting bags, sleeping, some on benches, mostly on the floor……people running in all directions, people moving up stairs on catwalks, people in uniforms, women nursing babies…….people on top of people, children some with parents, some not, people in line at the eateries catering to the crowds……talking, crying, the sound of the hustle and bustle of a very busy place…….nothing like an airport!
NO SECURITY……that’s right….none, naught, nil! No baggage scanner, no long lines waiting to be frisked by a guard with a hand held metal detector, no one checking identification……absolutely nothing. No one checking to see if you had a ticket (I figured that would take place on the train) and no boarding pass check……nothing. Just show up and get on……before the train leaves the station.
PASSENGER MANIFESTS are posted on the outside of the train so that you can make sure that the information on your ticket matches the car you have been assigned too. They are actually fun to look at….your name appears in both Hindi and English along with your seat number, gender and age.Once on board…..here is what you can expect for a morning departure:
NEWSPAPERS – Your choice of several in both English and Hindi…….even the Economic or Financial Times
WATER DELIVERY – A litre of bottled drinking water and a paper cup was delivered…..more than enough for the journey.
COFFEE/TEA – a tray was delivered which had two packets for tea, complete with sugar…..the tray also included two wrapped biscuit’s (mildly sweet cracker/cookie for my American readers) to accompany your choice of beverage. Shortly after delivery of your tray…….another gentleman efficiently comes by with a thermos of piping hot water……enough for two cups should you so desire.
BREAKFAST – Shortly after tea……you are given your choice of the VEG or NON VEG offerings for breakfast……the omelet is the standard Non -Veg offering and does not change much, but the Vegetarian offering varies at time……helpful tip……you can never go wrong ordering the vegetarian offering, especially if you are particular about how your eggs are cooked.
The offerings in the evening are very much the same, with the obvious difference that dinner is served instead of breakfast……but the added touch of desert……my favorite….ICE CREAM in usually two flavors; vanilla and butterscotch!
The seats are comfortable and they recline slightly more than those on a plane….leg room is spacious which is very important for me…..your cell phone works and you can use it…….and there is a power outlet so that you can plug in your laptop, without draining your battery, and you can work……and if you have one of those “roaming internet USB things” you can even search the net and answer emails.PROMPTNESS …..You will quickly learn…..and hopefully not in an unfortunate way, that the trains are prompt…….I learned this when the recorded announcement came on as we were approaching our first stop outside of Delhi…….after the initial announcement of the city you are approaching and some interesting points about the city……they mention……THIS STOP WILL BE FOR TWO MINUTES…….I do not remember hearing anything longer than 3 minutes……they are quick and prompt.
There is a gentleman that comes by and looks at your ticket…….there is another gentleman that comes by and asks you to identify your bags/luggage, and places a little sticker on them. This was the ONLY security measure that I witnessed, but, this was not done on my other two trips…just the first one.
Traveling by train would be my preferred mode of traveling in India, if time allowed…….it has quickly become a favorite.
I hope this gives you a good idea of what to expect so that should you have the opportunity to travel by train in India…….don’t hesitate.
There is one thing that I missed and I am not sure that they do it……..that nostalgic announcement that I remember from watching the movies……”ALLLLLLLL Aaaaa BOARDDDDDDD”! I think that would be fun to hear them call out in Hindi and English…….just for the fun of it.

No comments: