Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hyderabad - India's "City of Pearls"






This past week was very busy! I started out on Tuesday morning with my alarm going off at 3:30am so that I could get my shower, finish packing and head off to the airport for a 5:50am flight to Hyderabad. As luck would have it, the Jet Airways computer system had crashed and they were manually issuing Boarding Passes......the lines were very long, but it allowed me time to speak to Linda, Preston and Parker....who was at his friends house watching Monday Night Football, and it was 4:30 in the morning for me! My experience thus far is that every city in India is different, and Hyderabad was no different. The airport was state of the art.......brand new and squeaky clean, which is hard to say in India. I had no trouble finding the driver sent for me and I was whisked away to meet TJ Barring, a business development contact, at the Marriott Hyderabad......which is also brand new and has wonderful views of the lake, and a great breakfast too. We met with a developer who has a high rise apartment complex under construction and three hotel sites. Business........pitching deals......dreaming......I am enjoying my job very much.......it is very different from running a hotel everyday. Most of what I saw of Hyderabad surrounded business, but it was a very cosmopolitan city.......and had a look and feel all it's own. Hyderabad is known as the City of Pearls, as over 400 years ago it became a center for trade of precious gemstones. Today, most all of the pearls that are produced make their way to "landlocked" Hyderabad for stringing. We finished our meeting and visits to the various sites and were rushing to get to the airport.......there is one thing that doesn't change.....the driving.......I had to take a picture of the truck that our driver was getting within inches of as he tried to pass him numerous times. When we got to the airport, I had my first "Garam Aloo Chaat".....this is the Chef making them to order.....grilled potato's with spices added to it....at a place named "Chalo Chowpatty"!


..

No comments: